The COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 has affected everyone around the world in one way or another, from a mild annoyance to severe sickness and death.
In order to prevent the further spreading of the disease, and still allow tennis players to practice their sport in a safe way, a number of extraordinary measures must be taken; they are detailed below. HFTC members, by signing up for their membership, are acknowledging that they accept them and will abide by them.
The City of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation (PFR) department, which has jurisdiction over the Community Tennis Clubs owned by the City, has issued Guidelines for Tennis Community Clubs during Covid-19 (latest version – June 1, 2020 – available here) that will apply during the COVID-19 pandemic, and until further notice. The Playing Guidelines were established by PFR in cooperation with City Chief Health Office and a number of tennis organizations. Members are strongly encouraged to read and internalize those Guidelines in order to conduct themselves accordingly.
Here are a few key requirements according to the current PFR Guidelines and Club decisions as a result:
At the Club:
- Individuals who exhibit COVID-19 symptoms, or who have been in contact with infected individuals should refrain from entering the Club premises.
- Maintain social distancing and no-touch measures
- No socialization and lingering; come on time, play and leave as soon as possible; benches and picnic tables have not been taken out
- The Clubhouse will be closed; no washrooms; no water (bring your own)
- No programs, events or camps
- Until further notice, membership registration and payment is only electronically; see our website here.
- Membership fees have been reduced to account for the shorter season.
- The membership registration form now has extra check boxes for COVID-19-related pledges and waivers
- No doubles play; only singles
- Play with your own balls (mark them); don’t touch your opponents balls.
- Use hand sanitizer frequently.
- Walk-ins are discouraged
- Book your court time online here.
- Additional data is required on the court booking form to permit subsequent tracing; please fill it diligently and truthfully; it could save your life.
- No group lessons; maximum 2 participants
- Coaches are responsible to maintain physical distancing and sanitation
Furthermore, players who sign up for themselves and their family must take on full responsibility for their decision to play at the Club during the COVID-19 pandemic, and must agree to keep the HFTC and their volunteer Board harmless by agreeing to the updated Waiver of Liability and Consent, including the COVID 19 addendum.
In addition, members will pledge to use the court booking facility on this website when they want to play.
The membership sign-up form contains a check box for each item above.
Members are urged to book courts using the court booking facility on this website. Members will be asked, for each booking, to:
- fully identify themselves and their partner (name, phone and email) for eventual tracking purposes, and
- declare they are free from COVID-19 symptoms, and
- pledge they will respect the Playing Guidelines.